Sunday 22 September 2019

Guest Post: Jo Swinson

Wow. Just back from conference, head still buzzing from all the positivity. What a great team we're getting together with Chuka and all the other rejects and refugees, proving what a truly diverse broad church party of ambitious professionals the Libdems are. There's no doubt in my mind we are on course to win a sweeping landslide at the imminent General Election. Every polls show we have are on course to win thousands of seats and that's before we even get out there on the campaign trail!

And it's no wonder the British people are flocking to our party in their millions. Brexit is a failed project nobody wants. As I frequently explained to Prime Minister David Cameron, when I was part of his Coalition government, the EU is brilliant for our country and brings many benefits, such as a steady supply of minimum wage East European nannies and fridge loads of cheap Prosecco.  I know that's what matters to the man in the street, not who got most votes in a referendum.

Yes, I was in the Coalition. I'm sorry but I make no apology for supporting Austerity and propping up the most right wing government since the War. Tories are not all bad, especially those ones who have lost their party whip and are flocking to the Libdems. Margaret Thatcher was a great parliamentarian and should be honoured. When I'm prime minister I will erect statues to her memory in every town centre. That's part of my radical approach to changing Britain and embracing a new politics. Britain is crying out for change. And it's nearly three months since we had a female prime minister. We're long overdue another one.

Of course combining the demands of high office and motherhood won't be easy. Westminster is still very much a boy's club despite changes I spearheaded in bringing babies into the workplace. It takes dedication, commitment and focus. A nanny helps too. But I spend every moment I can with my children, thingy and whatsisname. Gender equality is an issue close to my heart, as I explain in my book You Can Have It All If You Talk The Loudest.

Polls tell us millions of young people yet unborn are now flocking to the Libdems. This is largely due to our groundbreaking green credentials. We must cherish this planet of ours. The world is facing a terrifying imminent threat from global warming that will spoil the life chances of the next generation. When little Thingy and her brother grow up I don't want them turning to me and asking why I stood back and did nothing to save the planet. So I pledge today that my first act on entering Downing Street, after revoking Article 50, will be to tackle global warming in every way possible. So long as it doesn't conflict with the interests of our fracking company donors, of course. 

Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn are unfit to lead our great nation. We need to break the old politics and forge a way forward with new ideas and bold initiative. I'm not looking to be in a coalition with either of the main washed up parties. Although obviously I wouldn't turn down an offer from Boris in a time of crisis, which this definitely is.



No comments:

Post a Comment